Thursday, May 7, 2009

Cropping Wildlife

Farmer Phil and I have been putting the crop in for the last week or so. We've sown 600ac of canola and 1200ac of wheat so far. We're about a third of the way through, so we should be finished in about 3 weeks.

I thought I'd show you some of the wildlife I've seen while sitting on the tractor.

These crows followed me on the tractor every row I sowed. They must have been after the grubs and bugs which are brought to the surface after the tynes on the seeder have turned over the soil.

This is an emu egg I found along a fence line. It's a few years old as it was bleached almost white - they're dark grey when first laid.
Here are some of the emu's which have made this farm their home for quite a few years. There is a mob of about 20.
And finally, a mama kangaroo and her joey. They just laid in the straw and watched me as I drove up and back, not moving until I came a bit too close.

No comments: