Friday, August 27, 2010

Sydney

While Emma was rehearsing for the concerts I saw a few things in Sydney which I've never seen before. The weather was perfect so walking was very pleasant. I snapped some nice pics of the Opera House from Circular Quay.


Of course the Harbour Bridge looked fabulous.

Farmer Phil, Emma and I had a nice meal at Peter Doyle @ the Quay before the show on Tuesday night. You can't beat the view we had!

Sydney Tower.

I went to Hyde Park Barracks Museum too and discovered my families original convict who was transported to Australia in 1837 from England. On his details it said that he could read and write, his trade was listed as a butcher, he was 23 years old and he weighed 10 stone 6 pounds when he arrived.


Most of the convicts at Hyde Park Barracks had been charged with property crimes and were sentenced to life, 7 or 14 year terms. The convicts were housed and fed at the barracks and then during the day they would go out to work places in Sydney. The photo below is how the convicts slept - there were 600 men living in the building at one time in 12 rooms, so their conditions would have been very cramped.

I also did some shopping while in Sydney and had to visit the Queen Victoria Building - even just to look at it's beauty! Here is the clock on the top level.

I also visited the Museum of Sydney which is built on the original site of the first Government House. It had a lot of excellent information about the first settlers and convicts of Australia, how they treated the Aboriginal people, the building of the Sydney Harbour Bridge and the Opera House and lots more. I'd highly recommend a visit to this museum as I learned a lot from it.

No comments: