Monday, May 18, 2009

Sowing Progress


I'm sorry for my lack of blogging over the last few weeks, but it gets a bit hectic around here at cropping time. We've sown about 4000ac (1600Ha) so far with another 1000ac (400Ha) to go. It's three weeks today since we started, so we're not going too bad! Farmer Phil serviced both tractors on Friday so we didn't get any sowing done, and then Saturday was blowing a gale so it was pointless to spray any chemical. Farmer Phil had an afternoon nap while I did some sewing and caught up on housework!

Farmer Phil wanted to average 200ac of sowing a day to get finished by the weekend. We're right on target and everything has gone smoothly so far, althought the moisture in the soil has now dried out and we're dry sowing.

In previous years, Farmer Phil has worked many long hours to get the crop in quickly, but we're a bit more laid back now and in no rush to get it finished. There's no point running yourself into the ground, when over the last few years with this terrible drought, there has been no reward for all the hard work! We can only hope that this year will be different!!

Our day starts with a 6am alarm clock alert, and we're out of the house by 7am. Farmer Phil starts spraying straight away and then I get sowing about an hour later. I'll drive the tractor all day until it gets dark and then I come home to have a meal. I deliver Farmer Phil's meal to the paddock and then he'll keep sowing until 10 or 12pm.

My mother in law Barb has been making all our meals for the day which we take in the tractors, and then she cooks our meal at night as well. I'm very spoilt, but cooking is the last thing I feel like doing when I get home late!

No comments: