Friday, August 24, 2012

Sseko Sandals

When I read this story on The Pioneeer Woman I knew  had to do some research to see if these nifty sandals were available in Australia.

Alas, when searching their website I discovered that they aren't available here but for $16.95US I could have 2 pairs posted here!  Yippee - what a bargain!

They arrived yesterday and I love them.  I bought one pair for me and one for Emma.  We can share the 4 sets of straps - aqua, black, grey and pink/orange/yellow sorbet.

They are Sseko Sandals and apart from being very attractive shoes, they also have an amazing story behind them.


Sseko Designs is a sandal company based in Uganda. They make beautiful leather sandals with interchangeable fabric straps that can be styled in hundreds of ways.

Sseko began as a way to generate income for high potential, talented young women to continue on to university. Sseko has graduated three classes of women. Every woman who has graduated from Sseko is currently pursuing her college degree.

In addition to their university-bound team, Sseko also employs a full-time team of women from all walks of life. By creating an environment of dignity, honor, creativity and dedication, Sseko Designs provides the opportunity for women in East Africa to end the cycle of poverty and create a more equitable society.
We believe that every woman has a dream. When she is given the opportunity to pursue those dreams, we are collectively walking towards a brighter and more just and beautiful world.

We believe that our stuff has a story and that every dollar you spend is a vote for the way you think the world should work.

Every Sseko has a story.
 

2 comments:

john & alison said...

Now in luck as you can get Sseko Sandals in Australia through our website www.747products.com
We to were so impressed by the work of Lis & Ben the founders of Sseko that we wanted to help. That lead us to import and distribute this wonderful sandal

kelgell said...

I randomly discovered these at the Moss Vale Show and they're brilliant. I just finished posting about them on my blog. It's so nice to wear them knowing I'm helping someone else out in life. Plus they are just really cool. I love how many different styles you can give them. I also did a link in my post to 747products but they need some patterned straps I think. I might get some from Sseko Designs some time but for $18 (US dollars assumably) for delivery I don't want to buy just one set of ribbons.